Deeper Questions Episode 10: "Are you spiritual but not religious?"
Episode 10: “Are you spiritual but not religious?"
Every time the census rolls around there is intrigue, vigorous campaigning, non-stop commentary and at times feverish hysteria about the decline of institutional religion. And while Australia continues to become more and more secular, it doesn’t necessarily mean that everyone is becoming less spiritual. For this episode we’ll meander through a bunch of topics, disciplines, authors and ideas that we hope you’ll find as interesting as we did.
Natasha Moore is a Senior Research Fellow at The Centre for Public Christianity: a not-for-profit media company that offers a Christian perspective on contemporary life. She has a PhD in English Literature from the University of Cambridge and is the author of For the Love of God: How the Church is better and worse than you ever imagined as well as The Pleasures of Pessimism. She spoke recently in Hobart as part of the Henry Baldwin Lecture series, and our conversation interacts with the lecture.
- We asked Australians if they believe in God or the supernatural. Here's what they said by Natasha Moore in ABC Religion & Ethics (4th April 2021)
- Eastergate by Natasha Moore on the CPX website (13th April 2021)
- Strange Rites: New Religions for a Godless World by Tara Isabella Burton
- For statistic regarding 49% of Australians not having spiritual conversations see “Aussies more open to spiritual conversations through Covid” by Eternity News April 1st 2021
- You Are You. We Live Here. This Is now. by Freddie de Boer on his personal Substack (28th March 2023)
- The Life We're Looking For: Reclaiming Relationship in a Technological World by Andy Crouch
- Nothing Bad Ever Happens Here by Heather Rose
- Unapologetic: Why, Despite Everything, Christianity Still Makes Surprising Emotional Sense by Francis Spufford
- Isaiah 55
You can shoot Aaron or Amy an email about anything! We'd love to hear your brutally honest or delightfully encouraging thoughts on the show and the topics that come up each week. There's a good chance we have stuff on our website at Third Space too.
Feel free to suggest potential guests or topics as well. No doubt there are heaps of important ideas and stories out there worth hearing!
Deeper Questions is produced by Production Farm Studios
More like this ...